I sat down over an hour ago to write a thoughtful post about music and its value in both magical and spiritual matters. My writing muse has apparently flown to the Bahamas for a wild weekend and left me with nothing better to say that “Like music. Music good. Mmm… music.”Since a well-thought entry on music doesn’t seem to be in the cards right now, I’m resorting to the cheap but entertaining trick of list-making instead.
Submitted for your entertainment, here’s a list of of songs that I associate with the gods (may They forgive me). I’ve tried to avoid the blatantly obvious examples, like “Cernunnos” from Faith and the Muse or “Heart of Lilith” by Inkubus Sukubus. Some of these probably make sense only in my own head, a few are potential ear-worms, and at least one is definitely not work safe. You’ve been warned.
- “You’re So Vain”– Carly Simon (maybe this is an obvious one?)
- “Cuts You Up” – Peter Murphy (another that may only make sense in my own head, but I’ve always associated this song with her)
- “On the Turning Away”– Pink Floyd
- “Bodies” – Drowning Pool (picturing all the while War from the novel Good Omens)
- “Voodoo”– Godsmack (Ok, I don’t know who’s behind it, but every time I hear this song, a) my skin tries to crawl off my body and b) I start thinking that NOLA could not have been as bad for me as it seemed. Neither of these is necessarily a good thing. I know there’s a god, a loa, or something associated with this one, but I haven’t sussed out who. Thoughts? Anyone?)
- The Morrigan
- “We Will Rock You” – (as done in a female voice, link is to Pink/Beyonce/Spears Pepsi commercial – better probably just to listen and not actually watch it!)
- “Bartholomew”– The Silent Comedy (probably only makes sense in my head, but the song reminds me of my experiences with her, particular the line “You’re gonna sink or swim.. you’re gonna learn the truth”)
On that note, I’m wrapping this one up for the night. One more Pagan Blog Project post down! Feel free to comment, critique my taste in music, or rant at me for the ear-worm infections that now plague you. 🙂